Sunday, December 9, 2012

Talmage Charles

On November 1st we welcomed our 4th little angel into our family. I don't really have a spectacular birth but I would like to remember what happened on that day. My body seems to get ready weeks before the baby actually comes and then just hangs out for the rest of the time; meaning I was dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced when I was 37 weeks. We woke up early Thursday morning to a phone call from the hospital asking us if we could be there in 45 mins to be induced. We quickly got the kids off to school and to the cousin's house and then headed to the hospital to have a baby! A little bit after I arrived I got my IV. The anesthesiologist came by and asked if I was ready for my epidural. I thought it was odd to be totally numb before I even experienced any pain. He assured me it was just fine! It was actually quite nice not to get to that "I think I am going to die" state of the process. So there I am totally numb with an IV dilated to a 4 and 85% effaced (no pitocin yet) and the nurse comes in..."Um, we can't get a hold of your Dr. I'm sure he'll call us right back to give us the order to start you." A little while later they come in, "Um, we really can't find him so we have 2 choices. We can disconnect your epidural and you can come back later or we can have you deliver with the Dr. on call." There was no way in heck I was going home still pregnant so of course I opted to have the on call Dr deliver me. They broke my water and started the Pit and told me they would still try to contact my dr.
Shortly after my water my dr showed up and apologized he had scheduled me on the wrong day in his calendar and was out working in his garden! He said he would be back in an hour to check me. One hour he came back...I was complete. 2 pushes later we had a baby boy! Total time was about 1hr and 15 mins...thank goodness for drugs! 8lbs 8oz 19.5 inches long!


I love the excitement on the kids' face as they meet their little brother for the first time! 

4 comments:

Forsythe said...

So happy for you and your healthy baby boy. Love his name! I hope you are adjusting to a family of 4!

AmyL. said...

Congrats Claire! He is beautiful!

Kimberly said...

...And then there was Four! Wow! It's so weird to think I lived by you back when you only had one. Where does the time go? I love the video. Great clarity. So Precious! Congrats!!!

Emily said...

Congrats...we're so happy for you Claire and Adam!!! I'd love to see your brood sometime!:) Much love to all of you!

Em