Monday, December 6, 2010

For Unto Us a Child is Born...

Charlotte Jane Brown
8 lbs 11 oz
19 1/2 in
As you know I was scheduled to be induced on Friday morning. Thursday afternoon the hospital called and said we were set to go. I should expect a call around 9am to come in. Well Friday morning came and no phone call. I called around 10. They told me it had been a crazy morning and to expect at least 2 more hours. So at noon I called them again. Again they told me it was even crazier than it was before and to expect to wait another 2-3 hours. So I patiently waited. It was hard. By this time it was 4pm. My baby was supposed to be in my arms by this time. No luck. By 6 o'clock they told me they would have a room in an hour. I was too tired and didn't feel like having a baby in the middle of the night. So we decided to wait till Saturday. I was first on the list for the following morning. The kids went to spend the night at my mom's house. Adam and I went on our last date. It was wonderful.

Saturday morning I woke up and found that my water had slightly ruptured and I had started having contractions. Finally my body was on my side! Today was the day!!! So the hospital called at 7:30am and we headed over a little after 8am.

Just minutes after her arrival...
By 9 O'clock I was hooked up with the IV. They had started me on Pitocin and given me an antibiotic for the group B Strep. About 45 minutes later the Doctor came and broke my water. Really shortly after that my contractions started to get really intense and really close together. I was scared I wasn't going to have time to get the epidural. I'm not gonna lie. It was scary. Luckily the Anesthesiologist got there in time and I was able to have the almighty epidural. Bless you women that have natural birth. I am not one of them. And I am okay with that. After I had the epidural, my body went numb and I entered euphoria at its best. I laid in my bed completely comfortable and peaceful for the first time in months. My body felt no pain. It was heaven. Absolute heaven.

About an hour and a half later the doctor came to check one me. I was shocked when he told me I was "complete. Let's have this baby!" I wasn't ready. I was not finished enjoying my peaceful break! No really I still had like 30 minutes before the antibiotic had been in my body long enough to ensure the baby wouldn't be affected. So we sat there and listened to the Dr. and Nurses talk about hospital politics as the minutes ticked away. At exactly 1:00pm I started to push. Charlotte was born at 1:07.

My first thoughts were, "She is so big!" She sure was! I am so grateful that she has a little extra chub on her for this winter season. We can use all the help we can get!!


The kids came a few hours later to meet their sister. It was absolutely precious. They were so excited . It was a priceless moment.




I have to say that even though I have been through this child birthing thing 2x before, it is never short of a miracle. I am so humbled. I am so grateful to my heavenly father for allowing me to experience one of the most beautiful days of my life. This little baby is an absolute joy and blessing from heaven. She is the perfect Christmas gift and will forever remind me of the true meaning of Christmas. Over this past weekend I couldn't help but think about Mary and Joseph. I thought about how there was "no room in the inn". In a weird way I related to Mary just a little bit. I am in awe as I look at her little angelic face. I can see the love of my Heavenly Father. I can see joy, peace, and hope. Joy in the present. I love my life. I love my little family. I will always try to find joy in the present journey of life. Hope and Peace in the future. Sometimes I think the future is a scary thing. The world seems to become more and more wicked by the day. Sometimes I will find myself wondering how I can let my children go out into this world. It scares me. But when I look at the face of this little angel, I am assured that Heavenly Father has a plan. My little children have a part in that plan. As much as I want to protect my little ones; they have so much to give, so much to offer. I know it. They will be successful. I am sure of it. Heavenly Father has a plan for them.
What a beautiful gift it is...to be a Mother.
For unto us a daughter is given!

15 comments:

mj said...

congratulations, claire. beautiful. thanks for your thoughts in this post. hope things are going well...

Emily said...

Congrats!
What a beautiful family you have, and Charolette is blessed to be welcomed by two wonderful parents!
Can't wait to meet her.

Sara said...

Your words made me shed a few tears!!! YAY for very VERY cute baby Charlotte!! Hope all is well in your home with 3!! Hope to see you soon. Love you.

Forsythe said...

#1 you look amazing, you do not look like you just have a baby. At least try and look a little tierd to make the rest of us feel better.
#2 8 11? Wow, way to go!
#3 7 minutes of pushing? Again we are all jelous!
#4 Congrats and she is beautiful!

Amanda and Chase England said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl. I loved your thoughts. . . they helped me really feel the spirit of Christmas.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Congrats! She is beautiful!!!

Brett and Lisa said...

Claire, I am crying... I so agree with everything you said! Being a monther is the greatest gift ever. and you sure are a beautiful one. Look at you sitting cross-legged in your velour suit... in my dreams... Ok - you are not im my dreams in a velour suit, I just mean I wish I could do that after having a baby :)... can't wait to see her and hold her!

Emily said...

Love it!!! What a beautiful baby and what a beautiful name! I tried to name Ellie, Charlotte, but Matt wanted to do other things:) Congrats! Claire, it should be illegal how good you look:) Beautiful family!!! Glad it went well.

the gray gang said...

How FUN!!!!! I love the pictures!!! You look way too good for just having a baby!!!

Kimberly said...

Congrats! You kids are so big. Your baby is so sweet. I love what you have written!!! Well said. I feel the same way. Thanks for sharing! Miss you guys. :)

Jer + Lu said...

Congrats!! Another little darling :) Glad things went so smoothly, minus the 24 hr delay... L&D doesn't ever get much downtime! Best wishes to your sweet family!!

Jer + Lu said...

Congrats!! Another little darling :) Glad things went so smoothly, minus the 24 hr delay... L&D doesn't ever get much downtime! Best wishes to your sweet family!!

Andy and Kimi said...

Such a sweet baby!! I can't believe you pushed her out so quickly- amazing! Kind of not fair that you look so beautiful in the hospital... What a cute family. BTW- I'm amazed at all of your mad crafting/sewing skills!!

stephanie624 said...

Congratulations! She looks beautiful and you look fabulous as well. My after birth pictures look like I was in a fight, even the day after. You look great! congrats and good luck with 3!

lonnyanddeanne said...

She is beautiful Claire. Congratulations! And you look beautiful as well:) I hope things are peaceful at home for your family! Love you guys.