It has been a long month for us. I wanted to update this blog because there are some of you that read this blog that would appreciate an update on our family right now.
Without going into too much detail (because my emotions are still raw) let me tell you what happened. On February 17th Quinn experienced a seizure. It was absolutely out of no where. It knocked me flat on my back and scared me to death. After a call to 911 and a day in the ER we were discharged with a normal CT and blood work. The Dr. told us that sometimes children will experience A seizure in their live and then never again. I was very shaken by this experience. But as the days passed I was starting to believe that maybe this was a one time occurrence and I began to sleep at night again.
On Monday (Feb. 28) Quinn seized again. This time while sitting up to the counter eating breakfast. Adam was home this time and was able to witness what happened. I was again shaken by the event. I called the pediatrician and within the hour we were in the Dr office.
He told me that he was going to place Quinn on the "Fast Track" to be seen by a neurologist at Primary Children's Hospital. I was in tears for most of this appointment.
I left the office. On my way home I had to stop at Walmart. While walking across the parking lot, I was pushing Q in the stroller with one hand as I held Charlotte's car seat in the other. He began to seize again. I called the Pediatrician immediately and he told us we needed to admit Quinn to the Hospital. After Quinn experiences a seizure, he falls into a very deep sleep that lasts about 1 1/2 hours. So I hurried home to grab some clothes for me, Quinn, and the Baby. I called Adam and he was able to rush home to drive us to the hospital; it wasn't safe for me to drive.
So...we were in the hospital for 3 days. Quinn had an MRI, an EEG, and many blood tests. He was incredible. He didn't complain. He just took it. My little 3 year old boy was amazing. Within time we received results from all of the tests; they were all normal. This was a huge relief to us. There were many scary things the Dr's were able to rule out. However...we still do not know what is causing him to seize. So they have started Quinn on an anti-seizure medication to be taken daily. Adam and I are somewhat nervous about putting a small child on medication...but the Dr's have assured us the alternative (seizures) is worse.
I on the other had have been pretty traumatized. The second I close my eyes at night the scenes continues to replay over and over in my mind. I generally wake up crying. Even though my little Quinn is right next to me breathing and just fine. I have been given several blessings which have offered much comfort. Adam has been my rock. He has helped me keep an eternal perspective. I am calmed by this. He explained to me that the priesthood he was blessing me with was the same power God used to create the world. The world! I know that the power of the priesthood can heal me and I believe with time it will.
This has been a long month for me. I have learned a lot. I have felt a variety of emotions with incredible depth and magnitude. My eyes have been opened to the hand of God in all things. As I replay all the events in my head, I am aware of the countless "tender mercies" my heavenly father bestowed upon us during this time.
I have to be honest. Before this all began, deep down I was secretly scared of what "trials" I would have to face. It was always just easier for me to just not think about it and go on believing life was just going to continue the same. Naive i know. I was worried... will I be able to handle it? will I have enough faith?
I came out of this month with the strongest testimony of Christ.
I believe that God is in charge.
Every single second we are on this earth is a gift. A pure gift. Every single second I have to be the mother to my babies is a blessing; a blessing that I will never again take for granted. I look at life differently now. I see things in a new light. My eyes have been opened. I see what really matters. I see my family with celestial eyes. I realize more what life is all about.
I have faith.
I know my Father in Heaven will help me through whatever trials I am dealt. I know it. I do not doubt. I just know. I have confidence in myself and in my God.
So here we sit on this bright sunny Friday morning. Quinn is sitting by my side watching
Tom & Jerry. (I could go the rest of my life with out watching T&J...that is all we did in the hospital) He is holding my arm and periodically gives me big slobbery kisses to tell me how much he loves snuggling with me. And I, I have tears in my eyes as I think about what an honor it is to be a mother. What a gift- I get to call these little children "my own". I am so grateful my Heavenly Father has allowed Quinn to stay with us. I am grateful for his sweet little smile and bright eyed face. I will ALWAYS be oh so grateful for this experience, for my eyes have been opened. It is through the trial that God makes us strong. It is when our eyes are wet with humble tears that they can truly see the perspective of the heavens.
***We are going to have a family fast for Quinton this Sunday. If you would like to participate it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all of you for your love and support.

14 comments:
Hey Claire - I just went to the skyline highschool web page out of boredom and started reading up on classmates to see what they were up to. Your blog was the first I opened and I was so shocked to read about your story with your young boy. It sounds like you have a very positive outlook and I just want you to know that I'm thinking of your family. Take care.
Aaron Fuhriman
Thank you for your testimony and a reminder to appreciate my kids. I am going to play with them now!
oh claire. my heart just breaks for you. reminds me of when leah was having some struggles and we just didn't know why or what they were or how long they'd last or what the result would be. it's so hard as a parent to watch your child struggle and not be able to do a single thing. my problem is i have to learn these lessons over and over and over again apparently! so, thanks for reminding me today to keep that eternal perspective. we'll definitely fast for your quinn this sunday.
Claire,
I'm so sorry to hear about the trials you've had this month. I have a brother-in-law who has seizures sometimes, and I've been the one who's had to hold him when he seizes a couple of times. It's a heart-wrenching experience, and must be even more so for the mother of one such.
Thank you for your testimony. I know that whatever happens with this situation, you will come through with greater faith and courage because you draw strength from the right source. I will be sure to pray and fast for you this Sunday.
How come I have not heard of this until now? I am reading it in the Stats lab and am just crying. I'm sure people are thinking I must be really stressed out about my assignment. We will be joining you this Sunday in the fast for Quinn. I can not believe what you have been through this month. Let us know what we can do to help. We love you guys.
Claire, I am so sorry to hear about everything your family has been through!!! Quinns story is very, very similar to my sister's...she had a few seizures around age 5 that Dr's could not pin point why she had them. They put her on anti-seizure meds and she has not had any problems since. There has not been any side effects to being on the meds for so long that we know of either. So, I hope that gives you some hope. Lucky Quinn is a boy...because the only hard thing for my sister is who can't take the meds when you get pregnant. Anways, our thoughts and prayers are with Quinn and your family!!! Your testimony is amazing!
Beautiful post Claire - our prayers have been with you. You guys are an amazing family and I know you will be able to pull out of this together. Know we love you and little Quinn! He is perfect and lucky to have you as a mommy.
XO Jess
What a whirlwind of a month! So emotionally draining :( Glad to hear Quinn's doing ok + your great faith is keeping you afloat. Best wishes. xoxo
Claire,
Thank you for opening up and sharing such raw emotions and tender thoughts! Sometimes we we face trials, it feels good and therapeutic to write down your feelings. I hope he's still doing OK and I know you will stay strong enough for what lies ahead. I love you girl and admire your testimony! Hang on to it. Love you!
thank you so much for sharing this with us. sharing your experiences and your faith building testimony. it gave me tears of love for you and of love in the blessings that you have received from adam. how lucky you are to have that rock in your home. how lucky you are for the tender mercies that you have been given. i totally understand how your "eyes have been opened" and this experience can truly only happen in a life and security changing experience but look at how much you've learned. and even better, you have quin right there with you.
again thanks for this. i needed to read it. i love you,
kt
Claire, I am so sorry for all that you have gone through! I can't even imagine. You are so strong and I'm so glad things are better now. You have such an incredible testimony. Thank you for sharing. Love and prayers from Texas!!
Oh Claire! My 7 year old son AND 4 year old daughter started having seizures when they turned 3. It was as horrible as you described. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!! The only thing different is that both of their EEG's were abnormal, while their MRI's were normal. They both took Keppra and it worked! My 7 year old has now weaned off of his since he only had to be on it for 2 years and he has been seizure free since July 2010. My daughter is still taking her meds and it's still working. I felt like this aged me 20 years overnight. I was exhausted physically, emotionally, mentally, and in every way possible. When my daughter started having them too, I just couldn't handle it. "Why? Really? This is happening to us?" But with faith and a lot of praying, I did handle it. Check out D&C 121:7-8. You will endure it well and it will make you a stronger family. If you would ever like to talk, just email me. erin@rbws.net I will keep praying for him and you!
Claire:
I just sent you a FB message and am now combing the internet trying to figure out what is gong on with Quinn... then I laughed at myself and thought I should just leave that to the MDs. I also have tears rolling down my face... what an ordeal. I will be praying, praying that the doctors can figure out something. You can do this. Quinn can do this. We love you.
Your mom just told me about Quinn. I am so sorry that you have had to go through this, but these kind of experiences help us to grow. So glad he is doing better now. What a beautiful family you have.
Post a Comment