Friday, March 9, 2012

Mexico

The end of January Adam and I made one of the most spontaneous decisions we've ever made. On Monday we were in bed talking and Adam says, "What are you doin this weekend?"I had a couple of things planned but nothing important. "Do you want to go to Mexico on Thursday?" Are you serious??! Can we really do this? What would we do with the kids? What about....
Hundreds of questions went through my head and out my mouth. The next morning (tuesday) we made some phone calls, checked airfare, hotel, and car reservations and by 3:00 we had booked ourselves a trip leaving in less than 36 hours later.

It was exhilarating and exhausting. I worked around the clock to get everything I could possibly think of ready for the kids (who stayed with my wonderful parents) as well as myself.
Once we were on the airplane I took a deep breath and looked at Adam,
"I can't believe we are doing this!"

I am SO glad we did. It turned out to be absolutely perfect timing for a few different reasons. One being every single person in our family was healthy!
Adam had done a lot of research trying to decide where to stay. We opted out of the
all inclusive resorts and went a little bit more private and quaint. It was perfect for us.
We flew into Cancun and rented a car to take us to the Riviera Maya. We stayed at a place called Tides Viceroy. It was unreal. Pictures don't stand a chance at conveying the beauty of this resort. It was unreal!
We were gone for 5 days. We had a few planned activities but we really spent most of our time relaxing and enjoying our time with each other. We talked for hours- uninterrupted.
We slept through the night. We slept in as long as we wanted. We ate when we wanted. Slept, read, shopped, and walked when we wanted.
I read a book. An ENTIRE book. I can't remember the last time that happened!

This place had it's own private beach and Pier. Heaven.
One of my favorite things about where we stayed is something that could never be truly explained through pictures but I will try!
The resort was a jungle. Literally. We stayed in our own villa/hut. The roof was made out of bamboo. It was completely isolated from anyone. We had our own pool, hammock and waterfall. The shower was OUTSIDE in the jungle. Everything about this place was organic and beautiful. Iguanas, birds, butterflies, and even monkeys lived all around us. Incense was burning at the spa at all times which permeated throughout the whole resort.
When you wanted to go to the beach, you would follow these little pathways that would lead you out of the jungle to the vibrant blue skies and waters.

Every morning after we would come back from breakfast or whatever we felt like ... our room was clean. Of course it was. When you stay in a hotel you have the maids come but for some reason this was so incredibly appreciated by me. It was heaven to come home, have my bed made, my bathroom cleaned, fresh linens, and towels....and I didn't lift one finger.
Wow! That was nice!
On Saturday Morning we headed out on a Zip Line adventure!
I'm not sure why(probably too many seasons of watching the Bachelor) but I have always had this dream of Zip Lining through the Jungle. So we hopped on a little shuttle that took us way out into the jungle where we were greeted by an Australian tour guide. Weird but cool! The zip line "experts" were incredibly social and easygoing.

After 13 Zip Lines we hopped on an Army truck that took us further into the jungle to a little "cenote" which was a beautiful water hole. We all zip lined into the water. It was a little bit too cold for my liking. After watching the guides play like little kids doing back flips/flops we headed back to have a native home-cooked meal of chicken fajitas. I'm not sure if we were just starving or if it was incredibly good. Probably both.
Still makes my mouth water thinking about it!
After 5 long wonderful days of "alone time" we were definitely ready to get back to our life at home. We were so happy to see our kids again. They were sound asleep when we got home. I couldn't believe I actually had to stop myself from waking them up. I did however snuggle up to each of them in their beds while they slept.

This trip validated 3 things I already knew:
1) I am incredibly in love with my husband, even more today than 9 years ago!!
I couldn't have married a better man for me.
2) I have the most beautiful children. I am honored to be their mom.
3) You can go and see the most breathtaking places in the world BUT without people you love to share it with- it means nothing.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy you got to go do this!! Lovely pictures. You look stunning!

Forsythe said...

Looks fantastic, I am jealous of your spontaneity. sounds like it was a great time to reconnect!

Amanda and Chase England said...

What a wonderful trip! I am glad you had a chance to get away together.

Madsen Family said...

You guys deserve it! So happy you got away!

Jer + Lu said...

What a GoRgEoUs place!! So glad you were able to get away :)

Andy and Kimi said...

SO beautiful! I'm so happy you got to have a trip together, and how fun to have it so spontaneous!

anne said...

Fun! So glad you two went for it. Much deserved!

katie said...

SO glad that you were able to do this! the spur of the moment adventures seem to be the best :)
gorgeous pictures of the scenery and of YOU! you look so happy and you deserve it! love what you said in the end and of the 3 things that you realized. they are all 100% true :)

xx