Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of Preschool




L to R: Jaxon, Asher, Cami, Anna, Grace, Kamryn, Aidan

I have the best girls in my ward. I am sure we all think that but seriously mine are awesome! There are 7 of us who got together and developed a little preschool called "Little Learners". It is some what a 'joy school' of sorts but ours is way better! (I've never done Joy School so I probably shouldn't judge. We planned out the curriculum for the whole year including field trips and parties. The goal for this year (we did it last year too) was routine and consistency. It is hard to rotate between houses and make it feel like the same thing is happening. This year we created a circle time where the activities are always the same ie: pledge of allegiance, weather etc. This week was the first week and I have to say it was a huge success. The kids (all of them) were so excited. Our theme was "Welcome to Preschool". We had the Letter 'A'. So I centered everything around apples. It was great!

Can't you just feel the enthusiasm bursting out of the camera?




After our little Circle Time I told them a story about a little boy who was in search of a Little Red house with no windows, no doors but had a star inside. He searched and searched but could find nothing but an apple. Disappointed, he took the apple home to his mom. His mom was so excited! You found it you found it! She shouted! So I took the kids into the kitchen and cut an apple in half width-wise. And by darn it there was that star inside a little house with no windows and no worms perfect for a little worm!


For our science portion I had the kids Taste test different ways of eating apples. We had apples: Raw, Boiled, and Baked. The kids LOVED this. They then graphed which of the apples were their favorites. We talked about what the majority of the class liked the best.




Then came our little apple seed song. Sung to Eensey Weensy Spider.




The tiny little Apple Seed was planted in the ground.

Down came the rain falling all around.
Out came the sun bright as bright can be.


And that tiny little apple seed became an apple tree.


After the song we made our own apple trees. I wish I took pictures of all the different renditions of an apple tree. It was quite comical. The art work on the left is our project for today. The blue is her 'big A' and the red is the 'little a'. The green is an apple stamp from the story we talked about. The picture doesn't show the star very well.

For our snack we made apple smiles. Some of the kids made them. Some of the kids ate all of their supplies before I finished giving out the instructions. It happens!




The second day we talked about all the different kinds of Apples. We did the taste test again but this time we tested: Red, Yellow, and Green apples. Again the kids graphed their results. The majority chose the Yellow Apples because they were convinced it was a pear. Oh well!


For snack time we made Apple Pizzas. I hoped they would taste better than they did. I don't think any of the kids ate all of theirs. It needed a lot more sugar and butter!



Anna gave Preschool a BIG Thumbs UP!

I had to add this picture at the end. Adam has this crazy bad habit of eating raw spaghetti. I do not understand how this habit is good for you in any way. Regardless, I was getting last minute things ready when I called for Quinn. Silence is always scary. I went upstairs to find him sacked out on the little couch with a fist full of raw spaghetti. I grabbed the camera and he instantly took a break to say a big "CHEESE"!

8 comments:

Brown Family said...

SOOO CUTE Claire!! I hope you were tired after such a fun-filled preschool day. I certainly would be! Thanks for calling the other day. It was good to hear from you.
Alissa

Jenny and Brett said...

What cute ideas Claire! Anna looks so grown up too! I feel like it's been forever since we've seen you guys! Lets get together sometime soon!!

Bethany Hoyt said...

Claire...congrats on the new post i've been waiting for:)- its been so long.

Jer + Lu said...

Wow! You go all out!! What lucky kids. I've never had boiled apples before, but now I want to try them! And I have to agree that yellow are the best. So funny about the raw spaghetti addiction!

Rebecs said...

Glad I'm not in your ward, I would have never been invited to that preschool group! What amazing and creative ideas!!! I love that Quinn eats raw speghetti too, gross. And let's see some pictures of that new kitchen, or just invite us over to see it :).

Brett and Lisa said...

what cute preschool ideas claire! You are so creative and talented! Seriously - you are good at almost everything you do!... I just realized that that almost might sound rude... i meant everything :). also, did I teach you about apple smiles or are they common knowledge? I thought i was just weird - but I love them!

lonnyanddeanne said...

How fun!! I remember joy school as a kid- have never forgotten the gunny sack song. That's how I learned to pick up my toys:) And all that canning- amazing, impressive, stellar!

Mercedes said...

Good grief. I think your preschool sounds absolutely exhausting (for the teacher!)! Unfortunately, I'd rather fork out the money to have someone other than me do it!

The canning is awesome, too. Our tomatoes just did not produce this year like I had hoped, and I don't have a lot of access to peaches except at the store or an orchard. =expensive!

So glad you are back to your blog! I check it all the time on the off chance you have added something, so imagine my joy when I came today!