Sunday, September 4, 2011

Update

For some crazy reason I can not get my photos to upload from my camera to my computer so this is just a quick update for those who were wondering ...(grandma!)


We are doing well!!! I am knocking on wood as I write this post... there is always tomorrow but I have learned to focus on today and well today was good. Today was the 4th day with out a single seizure!!!!!! I know it sounds crazy but it is true. Quinn has been doing so incredibly well. His little personality is just thriving. He is happy and energetic, loving and rambunctious... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Somedays I have to pinch myself to remember that I am not dreaming. I think we are actually progressing. I hesitate to say we are "there" but I think we are getting closer.

For those of you who are following a little bit more of the details...

We have been doing the B12 shots for one month now. It's hard to know what is actually working. I have been giving the shots to him every three days and yes it is getting a little bit easier. I still get a twinge of anxiety before I stab my child but then it subsides and I get to forget about it for three days. The problem: a couple of weeks ago I started to notice a difference in Quinn. He was doing better in the day (still having some sort of seizures but better) but he was having the grandmal seizures during the night...and more frequently. I started to notice that these seizures were happening following the B12 shot. For some reason the past 3 shots we have given him, he goes in to a grandmal that same night. SO... I let the Dr. know my observations and we are on trial right now. He suggested we space the last shot 5 days (instead of 3) from the next shot. So that puts us to tonight. I just finished giving him a shot. So we will see if he has a grand mal tonight. If he does we will know if it was the B12. It kind of sucks this whole trial and error thing. Can you imagine..." just wait to see if your child goes in to a seizure and then we will know if it is the problem." Yep, that is how we do things around here. Not much else we can do. But it is all okay. We are moving in the right direction and for that I am so so so grateful!

We also started Quinn on a new medication. Because the grand mals were becoming so frequent we decided to try something new. He is on a very low dose of a drug called Lamictal. This one has some scary side effects that we will have to watch out for.

So it is kind of hard to know if Quinn is responding to the medication or the B12. But the bottom line is he is responding!

So we will see what happens tonight... and as for me, hopefully I can sleep!

5 comments:

Forsythe said...

Prayers for you tonight!

Unknown said...

I love posts where a little bit of progress has been made. I'm praying that it lasts.

Brett and Lisa said...

I am so glad that you are having good days!! We should have come this week... oh well. hopefully you are getting things figured out a bit more and you will have more good days than not! So glad for youn and Quinn! Love you!

Alissa said...

So glad you are getting some answers and seeing progress! Thank you so much for the bag for Sammie! She loves it and hardly takes it off. If only I could design and sew like that-- what a talent! Take care. We love you guys, Alissa and family

Amanda and Chase England said...

I am so glad that things are going well for now. I hope it continues!