Last Monday we took Quinn in to see the neurologist. It was just a check up. Quinn is doing FANTASTIC!
His last seizure was September 11, 2011. Which means that we have been 10 months and 10 days seizure free.
Our game plan is to stay on the same dosage of medications {depakote & Lamictal} which will naturally wean him down as he continues to grow. We will have another meeting with the Neurologist in 6 months.
Next summer {assuming he is still seizure-free}we will do a 3-day EEG {kill me now}. If that comes back clean then we will wean him off his meds and they will say he has officially "out grown" Epilepsy.
There were two questions I asked which I found the answers to be reassuring:
1. Everyone tells me to be weary of adolescent seizures. Do I need to be concerned about that?
No. The type of epilepsy Q has is called Childhood Epilepsy. Once he has grown out of it, he shouldn't have any other episodes again.
2. I am pregnant with another little boy. {Epilepsy is more common in little boys} What are the chances this little boy will develop it?
Very slim. 90% of his patients with our same history only have one child that develops epilepsy. It is more likely {which is still a very small chance} that Quinn's children or grand children will develop it rather than more of MY children {which breaks my heart}.
People ask us all the time what it was that helped him.
I honestly believe our little family witnessed a miracle. On September 10 he had at least 40 seizures. Overnight they stopped. We do feel like we have found a great medication regiment. We are still giving him a B12 shot once every other week as well as vitamins. He takes his meds like a champion. He never complains.
One morning while taking his pills he said, "Why do I have to take these anyways?" I smiled and reminded him of his seizures. "Oh yah, I forgot." And then ran off to play. He has caught up cognitively, behaviorally, and physically. His sweet personality melts my heart on a daily basis. The faith his little spirit holds is unshakable. He is my hero. My life has been enriched beyond belief because of the person that he is. I will forever thank my Father in Heaven for the blessing it is to be his mother.
I am grateful to be living a seizure-free life. Not a single day goes by when I don't thank God. We are happy. We are healthy. We are strong. We will never be the same.

5 comments:
Yeah!!!! I am so happy for this great blessing :) Thank you for your example of faith. xx
HUGE smile on my face right now. So happy for you. And we are now three days seizure free. Seems silly to celebrate, but it honestly hasn't happened in MONTHS! Hooray!
I get tears in my eyes when I read this - I am so grateful too~ Thank you for always being such an inspiration and example of faith! Love you sister!
So great to read this. Our love to Quinn and here's to ten more good months! (And ten more after that...)
Hallelujah!! Such great news :) Glad your little guy is growing up + out of it!!
Post a Comment