Friday, February 22, 2008

Mother Knows Best!

Ever since Quinn was born he has had terrible reflux. Not only do I feel bad for him but I feel bad for me too! I usually change my outfit at least 2 times a day and Quinn goes through about 3. Needless to say my laundry load since my little buddy came has tripled. So when I went in to his 2 mo appt he was weighing in the 30th percentile. (Anna never let herself drop below 95%) When I told the dr I was concerned about all of this throwing up he said, 'Oh don't worry about it. He will grow out of it when he gets older.' Okay I thought to myself. So as the months go by I watch my little baby litteraly loosing everything he just ate only minutes after nursing. I had had it. So when I took him to the 4 mo visit I was ready to plead my case...this is not right. But I didn't have to say anything. He dropped from 33 to 17%. So he was put on some anti-acid meds and our lives have been changed. So Morale to the story...Always trust your Mother Instinct. Just because they went to all of the schooling, we know the child better!
And for the record, I took him back in (1 week later) to be weighed, He gained a whole pound in one week! Atta boy Quinn!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Checchio said...

What a struggle. You are smart to trust your instinct, and insist upon something. I do agree, mothers have a sixth sense about things. I am glad that he is feelin better...and your laundry loads are about to get lighter, Yeah!

Jer + Lu said...

Poor kid! Reflux is awful. Wyatt had it too-- my doc said the same thing, and as a 1st time mom I just waited it out. When I had Ezra I realized how bad Wyatt had been. I'm glad you're doing something about it ;)

Andy and Kimi said...

Cannon was also a puker...quite embarrassing really (one time he threw up on strangers' shoes at my niece's ballet recital, and I would carry around towels instead of burp cloths). I am a big believer in Zantac and Prevacid, though sometimes I didn't think that they worked because he was still throwing up all of the time- but apparantly they did because I tried stopping them for a couple of days and he screamed non-stop for those couple of days! It was crazy though, all of a sudden around 8 months he just stopped throwing up- he finally grew out of it.

SkylineHIghClassOf2000 said...

hey claire...it's shannon (whitehead)staker...i have a seven month old that this is all he did when he was younger and by two weeks I knew something was wrong so I switched dr...they ran some tests put him on prevacid...diagnosed him with a protein/dairy allergy...which meant i had to stop nursing him and give him soy formula or stop eating dairy and protein myself because he gets it from me through nursing...so i put him on the formula and he is a total different boy...long story short...if the meds don't work you might want to ask about this...i guess it's pretty common...lots of the time they will aout grow it...unfortunately my little guy didn't...