This month two of my sister-in-laws had two beautiful baby girls. Lila and Elizabeth...so exciting. So in lou of their arrivals I got to sewing...hooter-hiders that is. I have had two babies and this little invention was not around in my days of nursing but boy do I plan on using one in the future.
to start out you will need:
3/4 yard of fabric for outer (brown polka dot) Cut 27"x 38" rectangle
3/4 yard of fabric for lining (pink polka dot) Cut 27" x 38" rectangle
6"x 22" rectangle
5"x 20" rectangle of pellon interfacing
6"x 5" rectangle
5"x4" rectangle of pellon interfacing
7inch square of terrycloth
Two D-rings (I bought mine at Jo-Ann's)
15 Inches of boning (mine was the 1/4" thickness)

Iron your Interfacing to the long strap.
**You may want to make adjustments to the width of your straps according to your width of the D rings that you purchase
Iron on the pellon to the small rectangle strap and then Iron in half.
Pin both of your straps right sides together and sew.
On the smaller strap, you will only need to sew a straight seam down the long open end. No need to sew the edges for now. *However the long strap, you should sew one of the ends closed; pivot and sew along the open side. Once you are finished sewing, turn right-side out and press. Set aside for later.

Next take your two large rectangles. Right sides together serge or sew along the perimeter leaving about 4-6 inches to turn it right side out.



Once you turn it right side out press the seams. Then you are going to iron/fold/ and pin the edges up. I folded about 1/2 inch all the way around. I love the contrasting of fabric here!
Once you have all your sides pinned down we are going to pin everything else in place. First comes the boning. Which ever side you want to be the top... find the middle and tuck your boning in to the crease. Pin it under. Be sure that when you pin your boning in it looks like smile rather than a frown. You want to be able to peek, not show!
Next comes the straps. On the smaller rectangle strap, slide both of your D rings on to the middle. I decided to sew them down, it is not necessary to do though.
I just figured it would help keep the rings in place. Notice the edges are still raw...
On either side of your boning, tuck/pin a strap. I know my sister is right handed so I opted for the rings to be on the left. You want the straps to be snug against the boning to keep them in place. Of course you will pin the "raw" edge of the strap in the crease! *As a side note, I ran a small straight stitch around the long strap with contrasting thread just to add a little bit more character!
The last part before the last part: Fold your terry cloth in half (like a triangle) and tuck/pin it into one of the corners on the bottom.
Leave the Long side of the triangle open (so you can tuck your hand in it to wipe your little one's mouth) Sew all the way around your rectangle. I sewed it twice around the perimeter just for added strength about 1/4inch width.
p.s. Alissa if you happen to see this post, this little beauty is headed to you!


3 comments:
You are sooo crafty!! I want to make one of these!!! I just don't know where to even start. I'm going to have to print out your tutorial and take it to the fabric store to get all the right things! They are so cute!
Nice job! You are quite the little seamstress! Agreed- I so wish I would've had one of those when my babies came around :)
I love the fabric.
Just a hint (I've made a dozen of these): make sure your boning hits in the middle (or far end, your choice) of where the straps are attached. It helps the hoop stay open while you're nursing instead of drooping.
I went back and fixed several when I realized this.
Post a Comment