Sunday, September 12, 2010

Swimming Lessons

This summer I decided to try swimming lessons. A friend of mine highly recommended a family who lives close to us. I have yet to enroll Anna into any sort of extra-circular activities in fear of throwing my money down the toilet. I knew that we were supposed to start preschool in a few months so I wanted to get her prepared to do something that could possibly be scary to her. I signed her up for two sessions of swimming. Oh the tears and the heart ache. She wanted to go, she didn't want to go. The first session I think she earned a C grade. It was hard and I considered canceling the second session. I kept her in it and I was amazed. She did fabulously. She went to every class. There was not one single tear shed. She was excited and best of all she actually learned how to swim! Hurray for Anna!

This is Josh. He was the teacher. Before I signed up, I was assured Anna would have a female teacher. When I got to the pool my heart stopped for a minute. She is scared of men (minus the men she is related to). I have to say I was so incredibly impressed with Josh. He was absolutely phenomenal. I think I learned more parenting skills from this teenage boy than from anyone I have ever met. Anna loved Josh. What a great experience.

Way to go my little girl. I am so proud of you!

1 comments:

Jer + Lu said...

Glad it turned out so well! My boys have always done better with male teachers too. I think they're just more chill + they kids feel safer.