Friday, June 17, 2011

Doose Syndrome

Last night Adam and I had some what of a break through.


As I said in the previous post- we have had hardly any doctor interaction. {I just called the neurologist office today to set up a consultation...they told me I couldn't see him until September! SEPTEMBER!!! My child is having hundreds and hundreds of seizures a day and I can't see a neurologist until September.}

...So after intense prayer by both Adam and I...Adam set out to research. Researching on the Internet can be both helpful and dreadfully terrifying. So we have tried to find the specific information we need and that is about it. However last night Adam went full force. He came across a syndrome called Doose syndrome also known as MAE or Myoclonic-Astatic Epilepsy. INCREDIBLE...This syndrome described our little Quinn verbatim.

I can't explain the feeling to finally read about what we are experiencing; to read about children who are just like Quinn. This past week I have felt so incredibly alone and I don't doubt for a second that this was an answer to prayer.

So the more research we have done regarding this rare type of Epilepsy... the more we feel strongly that this is what he has. Of all the children who are diagnosed with Epilepsy only 2% of these children are diagnosed with MAE. They explained that is really hard for the Dr to diagnose and many times the doctor has never even seen it.

So...I ended up demanding an appointment with the neurologist; that is on Monday at noon. During this appointment we hope to present our findings to the doctor and hope that he agrees with us and we can move forward with treatment.

Some of the key points we have learned:
- patients who have this syndrome are more likely to reject the anti-seizure medications (yes)
- many times the seizure medication will trigger more seizures and make existing seizures worse.(yes)
-The most effective way to control these seizures are through a diet known as the ketogenic diet. (yes!)

After hours and hours of pouring over this new information, Adam and I have decided and feel very strongly to start Quinn on a modified Atkins Diet. This diet is incredibly intense. It is a new way of eating but it has proven to show results and we are willing to try. About 65% of his daily calorie intake needs to be fats. 35% protein and 10% Carbohydrates. The diet is fascinating really.

The idea is this: your body naturally uses carbs for energy; you eat the food to fuel your body. This diet is specifically targeting his brain {an organ completely derived of fat} so His body will quickly be completely deprived of carbs and have to turn to a new source of energy...fats. When the body burns fats it produces a thing called ketones. For some reason these ketones are kind of like a natural anti-seizure medication. Somehow the body begins to respond to those ketones and the idea is the seizures stop.

The good thing about the diet is that it should start working quickly...like days rather than months. We will see. I know this is going to be a HUGE undertaking but I am so willing to do it. Right now he is in the other room crying for frosted flakes which have a whopping 300g of carbs. Quinn is allowed 10g per day. ...yeah this is going to be hard!

Many of you have asked what you can do...right now I need to learn as much as I possibly can about this diet which is known as MAD (modified Atkins diet). If you know anything...ever been on Atkins, you graduated in dietitian or nutrition, if you have any tips or any ideas, I am open to absolutely any advice you can think of. I have to figure out a way to feed my child with out starving him but also give him as much fat as I possibly can. And of course Quinn is the most picky eater in the world...go figure.

We are feeling hope again.

We are praying for a miracle. I know the Lord has heard our cries.

8 comments:

christensen crew said...

Claire! Way to take things into your own hands for Quinn! Doctors will never take care of him like you can. So go get some sugar free jello snack packs and wiped cream...no carbs (costco's whipped cream comes in a 3 pack and has >1 carb.). That will be quinn's little special treat and he will love it!!! I've been praying for that sweet little boy who I have always had a special place for!!! Even when he was tiny I was in love with him!! Keep your faith, and never give up. Love you to pieces, Kate

Melissa Myers said...

We love you! I am going to read all I can about the ketogenic diet and hopefully we can all help. Love, Melissa

Lyssa Beth said...

Wow, what a miracle! Heavenly Father is definitely with you every step of the way. As far as diet, I am not sure. But my onliy thing is, yes it is hard to deprive your child from what they are used to. Kate has a Dairy allergy so we had to cut off her most loved foods about a year ago. SO HARD. She didn't understand but what else could I do? So just stick with it and he'll eventually get used to it and then it'll be habit. My prayers are with your little familiy! I hope this helps and that the doctor agrees with you!

Candice said...

Claire, from personal experience I would tell you to find a specialist that deals specifically with MAE. One of the best things I did was find a specialist for my heart condition at Standford. A regular nuerologist who has never seen MAE will be as unknown to it as you. Go find a nuerologist who has seen handful of cases (even if it is across the country) it is worth it.

Emily said...

Hi Claire! I wish Matt were a neurologist right now just for you. I'm sick about this whole situation, but pray that this will be the answer you are looking for. I agree with an earlier friend who suggested that you find a neurologist or dietician or whoever who deals specifically with this kind of stuff. It is so frustrating to go into a Dr's office and have them look at you like you are crazy. Hopefully, your appt. will go well on Monday and that the Dr. will be able to shed some more light on this situation. I guess my thought is to pray to be led to whoever will be able to help you. Much love and much hope from me to you. Love you!!!!

mj said...

claire,
i emailed my friend who is a dietician and i know she's worked with seizure patients at dartmouth-hitchcock hospital. i'll send you whatever she passes on to me! so glad you're beginning to get answers.
...m

Brett and Lisa said...

Claire: it is amazing how the Lord blesses parents, especially mothers, with knowledge about their kids. You guys are so strong and so faithful. This diet thing sounds fantastic. A life change, but diet is better than medication anyday! I was thinking of mini-pepperonis as snacks... string cheese...cut up hot dogs and put them on tooth picks, and I have a recipie for flourless peanut butter cookies... good luck! You will do great!

Sara said...

you are the perfect proactive patient. My heart is so sad for little Quinn. We will continue to pray for him, and you two, his wonderful parents with strength. We love you guys so much and hope everything improves.