Well I can now say that I've been admitted to the hospital with every one of my children. It's not something I should brag about- it still makes my stomach sick but it is what it is!!
So Miss Anna got sick at the end of July. She started complaining of a stomach ache which isn't terribly uncommon for her so I told her the usual run down for what she should do and sent her to bed. The next morning, Saturday, I got a call from a friend who was hurt and needed help so I rushed to help get her to the AF ER. By the time I got home Anna told me her stomach hurt really bad and Adam agreed we needed to take her in. So back to the hospital I went this time to UVRMC ER. We waited for a while and after a blood test and an ultrasound the ER dr told us she had appendicitis and they were paging the general pediatric surgeon to do surgery on her that night. I called Adam and updated him so he could make arrangements for the kids and come to the hospital. By 10pm they admitted us and told us the dr should be here shortly to evaluate Anna. At this point I was getting frustrated. It had been hours and no one even said a word to me before they admitted us to the ped floor. Unfortunately I know how it works and i know how much it costs to stay nights in the hospital and I would've appreciated being made Aware of this decision which was only made worse when the dr showed up at 11:15 pm and evaluated Anna. "This kid does NOT have appendicitis!" Excuse me what?! "There is no way I'm taking her in to surgery. Had I have evaluated you in the ED I would've sent you home and seen you back in the morning for more tests. But since you are here we will just monitor you and we will do more testing first thing in the morning." I was SO angry. They wouldn't let us leave so we stayed. The blood test and ct scan came back normal the next day despite the pain Anna was still in. They ruled out all things with the liver, pancreas, intestines, tumors, kidney stones etc.. So at 11am the next morning we were discharged with nothing but a charge for Tylenol every 3 hours!!! So we went home and unfortunately Anna's pain got much worse Sunday night. The worst she had had. She was awake all night just writhing in pain and we had no idea what to do. I started to worry that maybe it was appendicitis. Around 3am we were finally able to calm her to sleep. The next morning I called the dr and he was concerned she was worse so we went again. Again he declared it was not appendicits but he wanted a second opinion so we headed to a pediatrician who confirmed it was not appendicitis. Anna was in pain and tired. We spent all day Monday with drs and in the hospital doing more blood work. After 3 nights of no sleep we were both running on empty. "It could just be an awful virus that could be 7-10 days" said the ped dr. So home we went to wait more. Anna was becoming very sullen and depressed. She was so sad. "Will I ever feel better mom?" The next morning she didn't say much. She was emotionally depleted. I had 2 piano lessons that morning and the first one happened to be Anna's good friend, Hannah. I pulled her aside and asked her if she would spend some time with Anna. I explained that she had been through a lot and it would be nice to have someone to talk to. She gladly accepted and when I was done teaching the girls came out and Anna had a light in her eye! She asked for some food which was major progress and then asked Hannah if she wanted to watch a movie with her. They spent the afternoon together and soon I heard laughing and giggling from the basement. "Mom it feels so good to know what I'm not alone." Slowly her pain started to fade and within about 3 more days she was back to her normal self although much more humble! When she felt well enough she told me to go lie down and she took care of Talmage and did a craft with Charlotte. She was so concerned about my lack of sleep. So I guess we are deciding it was a terrible virus. Yuck!! I am so proud of how well she carried that trial. I love her so much and I'm so glad she is feeling much better!


0 comments:
Post a Comment