Sunday, November 9, 2014

My First Half Marathon- American Fork

In June I ran my first half marathon. I loved it!! The race started at 6 am and we had to be on the buses by 4:00. Hugh Pinnock was running too so we decided carpool. After a long bumpy ride up American Fork canyon we reached Tible Fork. It was still dark and very cold. We had a little over an hour before the race started to stretch, go to the bathroom, and build up as much anxiety as possible in one hour. 😉 



Hugh and I split up as soon as the gun shot. I started about 4 mins after the official start- which I liked because I was able to pass people the whole race- which somehow helped my adrenaline! I had a great run. Unfortunately I drank water on the bus ride and I needed to use the bathroom once but other than that I ran the whole time. I felt strong and full of energy. It was awesome! One mile in I saw my neighbor Grant. We ran for about 7 miles together. It was nice to have someone to talk to because I didn't have any music- I totally forgot I wouldn't have access to pandora. At about 8miles I saw Heidi Conrad, who I run with during the week, she ran with me for about 2 minutes to see how I was doing. It was so nice of her to come! At about mile 9 my dad jumped in and ran with me. It was so good to see him! By that time I was getting pretty tired so I put my headphones on and just focused on running. I felt like I was running so fast at the end. I was so surprised how much energy I had- so awesome! I sprinted the last half mile to the finish line which was such a crazy feeling. It almost felt out of body- my legs were numb and I couldn't really feel anything any more. My finish time was 2:03:00. Which is awesome and also a total bummer. I wanted to finish in under 2hrs but I thought that might be a little unrealistic but the fact that I got so close to 2 makes me sad that I had to go to the bathroom!! I could have done  it! I guess I'll just have to run again!

The best part of the race was seeing these beautiful people at the finish line. They were so cute and tired! It was 8am and they waved to me at mile 8 too so they got up pretty early. 

This race was the most exhilarating thing I have ever done. I loved the rush of adrenaline that I felt and the excitement that was in the air- I definitely have caught the runners bug...And I love it!